Love & Kindness

When you are sat in an a&e department in the middle of the night, strange things start to happen. Fellow relatives become friends, people to lend a friendly ear and comforting words. You become concerned by how their loved ones are doing and want regular updates.  You become known as the patients relative, but often with no name. However you will often find the medical staff will seek you out & make sure to check on you to make sure you are OK. You instantly keep an eye out for the patient in the bed opposite because they are here alone and update the nurses if something has happened out the ordinary. 

You might wonder how or why I am writing this. Well it’s currently 3 am on the morning of 4th April. I am meant to be in my bed in our lodge at Centre Parcs, but earlier in the evening my gorgeous boyfriend  (or partner as he has been referred to many times this evening) decided it would be a good idea to fall off his mountain bike. I would say that none of you know the fear you go through when you get that call from your loved one to say they have been in an accident, but in reality some of you do. My amazing cousins were fantastic, we all rallied round each other and they were great. However due to Matt’s injuries we were taken by ambulance to Bath Hospital.

He is with the resus team at the moment having his arm put back into socket but will need an operation on his fractured elbow within the next day or so, I am praying they will let us go back home for him to have it done there. 

I am just in awe of how people are dealing with such life changing events that are happening tonight. Hopefully Matt’s will be pretty minor and he will be back to normal within a couple of months. However a brother and sister I have been chatting with have travelled from London to Bath tonight for their mum as she has had a severe stroke and has a bleed on the brain. Her injuries will be life changing, but the family are holding things together so well. I just don’t think I would do the same. 

It’s now midday on Tuesday and I’m sat at Matt’s bedside. We finally got to a ward at 3 pm on Monday afternoon after 18 hrs at a&e! Matt unfortunately has broken a vertebrae in his back and has a very bad fractured elbow & arm. Luckily he doesn’t require any surgery on his back & he is going to be fitted with a back brace. However he does need surgery on his fractured elbow & arm as it’s a very bad break, the consultant this morning said that he did a really good job messing it up! We are hopeful to get a bed in a hospital closer to home, so he can be transferred down there after having the brace fitted today.

16th April
I am currently laid in MY bed with Matt at my side, he has had surgery on his arm and is enjoying being discharged from Hospital on Thursday after an 10 night stay. He will need physio to help get his arm back to full function, but his back should hopefully heal within the next 6 weeks. We had made the decision for me to leave Matt April 5th and return to work, his parents came up to be with him while I couldn’t be. Those days that I wasn’t with Matt were really emotional for me, not only was I worried about him, my bosses dog Chester, who we often looked after whilst she was away, was diagnosed with advanced cancer which was just as upsetting. It was made a more emotional week after the announcement of our close friends separating also. To say I have cried a lot of tears is an understatement. 

It was a big fight to get Matt to a hospital closer to home as they didn’t have a bed until 9th April and we couldn’t source any hospital transport, so I had to bring him back in my car. He was dosed up and we were sent on our way, arriving back home within 2 hrs and due to have his op the following day. Unfortunately due to swelling of his arm, he didn’t end up having surgery until Tuesday which ended up being the same day as Chester, I was on tender hooks all day! Thankfully his operation went well, he has ended up with a plate in his arm as well as wire and screws and will need checks regularly as well as physio. Chester’s op also went as well as expected, unfortunately it was too much for our favourite pooch and he didn’t make it through the night. My heart broke as I heard the news, not only sadness that he didn’t make it, but I knew just how much love my boss and her husband have for him and that they will be at a loss without him. 

However, Matt unfortunately took a turn for the worse on Wednesday he didn’t agree with the pain killers they were giving him and it ended up making him very ill and was definitely away with the fairies. To get texts from who you see as your strong man saying how much pain he was in & not being able to do anything is truly heartbreaking. Thankfully Hayley pulled me through and kept me strong at work and having Lee go to the hospital at visiting hours and report back to me gave me peace of mind whilst I finished my day at work. Luckily when I got to the hospital he was much better and almost back to his usual self. I was overjoyed when he called me early Thursday morning to say he would be discharged!

If the events of the last couple of weeks have taught me anything, it is the importance of love and kindness. We have both had support from people we least expected, Matt has received cards from people that we would never have thought! I just want to say to all of you who have taken the time to check on either or both of us over the last 2 weeks that we are so grateful and can never thank you enough for keeping our spirits high, especially during my most emotional moments!


Emma xxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s