I am 27, I have been with my partner for almost 6 1/2 years and we both still live with our retrospective parents. We enjoy holidays abroad and spoiling our nieces and newborn nephew, if we see something we like we will buy it and if cant afford it we will save for it. We are enjoying being in our 20’s with limited responsibilities, carving out a career for ourselves so that we have some stability for our future.
How many others are doing the same? Put your hands up!
Ok so that is more of you than I thought, out of everyone with their hands up get the following questions asked to you at family events or by friends?
- So when are you two going to settle down?
- Have you started house hunting yet?
- Don’t you think its about time you got engaged?
- Have you thought about babies?
- What is your 5 year plan?
- You need to stop going on holidays or you will never move out
- You wont be able to afford all the things you do when you settle down
- Well if your not living together or engaged by now it can’t be that serious
- So when are you two going to settle down? we are very settled down, we have a comfortable life together and have a plan in place to “settle down” in societies eyes.
- Have you started house hunting yet? afraid not! we refuse to rent or join in a government scheme where you have to pay back a loan and your mortgage, we are old school so we are saving our arses off!
- Don’t you think its about time you got engaged? maybe, but that will happen when the time is right for us.
- Have you thought about babies? not really – where would it live? plus with my PCOS our baby journey may take longer and be harder than others. So this question is probably never a good topic to start with.
- What is your 5 year plan? shock horror, we don’t have one & if we did its our plan and if it involves you or needs your input we will share it.
- You need to stop going on holidays or you will never move out yeah, we probably do. However if we can afford to treat ourselves to a holiday and save for a mortgage at the same time then why not?
- You wont be able to afford all the things you do when you settle down really?? I thought there was an endless pot of money available! We are realistic, we know that and that’s fine, but thanks for the heads up.
- Well if your not living together or engaged by now it can’t be that serious why aren’t we?